The Club then looked to purchase the present site of the Club, Greenbrook Farm, a tract of land consisting of 327 acres, situated in Wayne Township, The largest meeting of the Club ever held, up to that time, was convened on September 21, 1921 at which it was decided unanimously to concur in the recommendations of the committee and to purchase the property. On October 17, that year, Greenbrook Farm was transferred to the Club. On November 11, 1921, without ceremony and with but only four or five members present, the "first blow" was struck when the Construction of the Golf Course began. At times there were as many as 200 or 300 men working, carrying out the plans developed by the architect, the late Walter J. Travis. After one year, eight months, and eleven days of work the chairperson turned the course over to the Club, as playable, on July 22, 1923.
While it originally had been estimated that the cost of constructing the new course would be $50,000 it developed as the work progressed that owing to the unyielding conformation of the terrain, which could not be anticipated in advance, this amount was not nearly sufficient. As a result the finance committee after considerable negotiations was able to secure the necessary funds to meet this unforeseen expense with the result that up to the opening day $178,000 was spent on the golf course.
Another problem, and a serious one, was the lack of water on the property and after water experts gave little hope of solution, it was decided, upon competent authority, to construct a reservoir with the result that a dam, 234 feet wide and 26 feet deep, was constructed on the northerly side of the tract, extending from Beech Mountain to the lower base of High Mountain and which impounds some 4,500,000 gallons of water which is used for the fire sprinklers and watering the lawns, fairways, and greens. The cost of the dam together with the necessary piping was $34,000.
The foundation of the club house was started during the winter of 1922 and the corner stone was laid on April 21, 1923 and some months later it was thrown open for use. Little changes were effected in the Club during the following years.